TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Table of Contents
ACTIVITIES AND TRANSFERS
1. Introduction 2. Rate Guarantee 3. Payment and Taxes 4. Cancellation and Amendments 5. Acknowledgement of Risk 6. Health, Ethics, Safety and Responsibility 7. Inaccurate information 8. Departure Times and Pickup 9. Age Restrictions 10. Seasonal Transitions and their Impact on Services 11. Termination 12. Insurance 13. Conditions Safeguard 14. Right to Amend Terms and Conditions 15. Applicable Law and Jurisdiction
Terms and Conditions for Activities & Transfers
These booking terms and conditions are the basis of your contract with Northern Lights Village (part of Wilderness Safaris Saariselkä Ltd.). In the following booking conditions ‘you’ means the party leader/individual requesting the booking and ‘we’ and ‘us’ means Northern Lights Village (part of Wilderness Safaris Saariselkä Ltd.). By acknowledging these terms and conditions the client confirms he/she is authorised to make the booking on his/her own behalf and that of his/her party’s. On receipt of the fully completed booking process and full deposit, we will issue a confirmation of booking which sets out arrangements.
Once the booking is completed and accepted by the submission of the confirmation email to the address provided by you, the agreed price of the booking is fully guaranteed by us and will not be subject to any surcharge. Please refer to clause 9. of these terms and conditions for exceptions to our rate guarantee. N.B. The rate guarantee does not apply to invoice errors or government action.
- 3.1 A full deposit is required at the time of booking. The booking is considered confirmed once the deposit has been paid in full.
- 3.2 All booking fees are subject to and include 10% VAT.
- 4.1 The booking is non-refundable from the moment the confirmation has been sent out by email. N.B. If the reason for cancellation is due to proven injury or illness sustained by you or your party we may, but are not obliged to, offer an alternative date to be taken up within 6 months, of the original booking date.
- 4.2 We will, whenever possible, try to accommodate any amendments you may request after the contract is formed. Amendment requests must be issued in writing to us by the party leader.
- 4.3 The arrangements detailed in the booking document are given in good faith, but we reserve the right to provide comparable alternative arrangements if optional or other considerations so dictate.
- 4.4 No employee or representative of Northern Lights Village has the authority to verbally vary these terms and conditions or to enter into verbal agreements with clients. No variation in these conditions or otherwise in the terms upon which a booking is made, and no promise to refund money previously paid to us, shall be valid unless in writing and approved by the sales office.
- 4.5 If we make a major change to a booking, we will inform you as soon as reasonably possible. You will be able to choose whether to accept the changes or cancel the booking and receive a full refund. Please refer to clause 10 for exceptions.
- 4.6 We reserve the right to cancel the booking due to circumstances amounting to Force Majeure. These include, but are not limited to, weather conditions, fire, war, riot, terrorism, government action, strike action, and all similar events outside our control which prevent or affect our contractual obligation. Where such circumstances occur, the company will not be liable to pay any refund or compensation.
- 4.7 In activities involving animals, our priority is their welfare. Should the physical condition of the animals not be suitable for the activity, we reserve the right to modify/delay or cancel the activity. If cancelled, a refund will be issued in full.
- 5.1 Activities such as reindeer sleigh, husky sleigh, snowmobile, snowshoeing ice fishing and skiing may be hazardous and present a risk to personal safety. All reasonable steps were taken by us to restrain any risk to a minimum. The level or real risk is generally remote and similar to the one of a normal individual experiencing a normal recreational activity. Whilst the chances of serious injury are slender, the chances of minor injuries must be considered possible outcomes.
- 5.2 We accept responsibility should any services which we are contractually obliged to provide prove deficient or not of reasonable standard.
- 5.3 We do not accept liability or responsibility for personal injury to, or the death of any participants howsoever caused, unless by the proven negligence of us.
- 5.4 Note that the ground may be very slippery, especially when temperatures are close to zero degrees Celsius.
- 5.5 Pregnant women are not allowed to participate in snowmobile or sleigh safaris due to the fact that vibrations and exhaust fumes may be harmful.
- 5.6 We cannot accept liability for causes of dissatisfaction which are not notified to us immediately after the completion of the activity.
- 6.1 The party leader is responsible for observing that all members of the party are physically fit to take part in the activity. All adults accompanying a party are held responsible for the good behaviour of children in that party and will adequately supervise them.
- 6.2 Where damage is caused to any of our equipment by a party member deliberately or whilst under the influence of toxic substances, or due to a party member not obeying our guide’s instructions, then that person, or parent or legal guardian of that person, will be responsible for an amount up to EUR 2.000,- of the repair or replacement of the items.
- 6.3 Snowmobiles are insured for traffic in Finland and the client’s own liability for any damage, deliberate or not, amounts to EUR 2.000,- A reduction in own liability down to EUR 500,- for snowmobile usage may be purchased for EUR 50,- per activity.
- 6.4 On a snowmobile safari, you and your party are responsible for possessing and if required present to the authorities a drivers’ license that is valid for use within the European Union.
- 6.5 The party leader is responsible for providing us with any known medical condition that may potentially affect the personal safety of any party member, and for notifying us of any special needs of any party member.
- 6.6 If any imprudent interaction with an animal causes stress or harm to an animal to the point of needing veterinary care, you will take financial responsibility up to EUR 1.000,- of all costs incurred to return that animal to a healthy state. You will be fully liable in the event of any deliberate abuse towards an animal.
Circumstances may arise in which particulars in the itinerary and other facts about an activity may deviate from what was initially published. We will make our best effort to provide suitable alternatives, but will not be held liable for changes.
- 8.1 You agree to be present at the Safari House of the Northern Lights Village (Siula building, Kelotie 1) 10 (ten) minutes prior to the departure time of the activity mentioned on the booking invoice or at a nearby location at the time indicated on clause 8.3. In case of delay, you will neither be entitled to a refund nor compensation.
- 8.2 The time displayed on the invoice at the time of booking is merely indicative. Departure times are not confirmed until the day prior to the activity taking place by 00:00 (midnight). You will receive a booking reminder with the final departure time for the activity one day prior to the activity taking place.
- 8.3 If you require a pickup from a location nearby for an activity which starts at the Northern Lights Village, the time of the pickup varies according to the location. You will be picked up at the location’s reception main entrance. This must be requested and confirmed by the sales office in writing.
- 8.3.1 Kiilopää: 90 (ninety) minutes prior to departure. A fee of EUR 15,-/person applies.
- 8.3.2 Muotkan Maja: 70 (seventy) minutes prior to departure. A fee of EUR 15,-/person applies.
- 8.3.3 Kakslauttanen West Village: 55 (fifty-five) minutes prior to departure. A fee of EUR 15,-/person applies.
- 8.3.4 Kakslauttanen East Village: 45 (forty-five) minutes prior to departure. A fee of EUR 15,-/person applies.
- 8.3.5 Laanila Parking Place: 40 (forty) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.3.6 Star Arctic Hotel: 35 (thirty-five) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.3.7 Santa’s Hotel Tunturi: 30 (thirty) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.3.8 Holiday Club Saariselkä: 25 (twenty-five) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.3.9 K-Market Kuukkeli: 20 (twenty) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.3.10 Northern Lights Village Reception: 15 (fifteen) minutes prior to departure. No pickup fee (max. group size 10 people).
- 8.4 We offer airport shuttles from the Ivalo Airport to the Northern Lights Village and in the opposite direction. The duration of these is approximately 30 (thirty) minutes. We do not provide airport shuttles to and from other locations. Upon arrival, an employee or subcontractor of ours will be awaiting you at the arrivals terminal of the Ivalo Airport with a sign displaying the name of the party leader. On the departure day, the airport shuttle will leave from in front of the reception building of the Northern Lights Village exactly two hours prior to your flight’s scheduled take-off time. This time is also displayed on your booking invoice. Due to the strict nature of flight schedules, it is impossible for us to wait for delayed guests. Should a delay occur, we will do our best efforts to find a suitable alternative, but will not be held liable for any consequences of the delay.
- 8.5 When booking an airport shuttle, the arrival time selected must be exact and the departure time must be exactly 2 (two) hours prior to the flight’s take-off. In addition, you are responsible for providing us with the correct flight numbers. We will not be held liable for any consequences that arise due to missing or incorrect information.
Infants and toddlers are recommended to limit their activities outdoors to shorter periods on cold weather days. We recommend you consult a physician to assess whether you are in a good physical condition to participate in the activities. Snowmobile drivers must be 18 (eighteen) years or older and possess a driver’s license valid for traffic in Finland. Children under 15 (fifteen) and/or under 140 (one hundred and forty) centimetres in height participating in a snowmobile safari must be accompanied by their parents or guardians and they’ll by sitting in a heated sleigh pulled by the guide.
- 10.1 According to the statistics published by the Finnish Meteorological Institute, the average starting date of permanent snow cover ranges between October 27 (twenty-seven) and November 6 (six), whereas the average ending date of permanent snow cover ranges between May 10 (ten) and May 20 (twenty).
- 10.2 In order to minimise the impact of the seasonal transitions on our guests’ experience, we implemented a grace period, thus considering the snow season to start on November 14 (fourteen) and to end on April 18 (eighteen).
- 10.3 Winter activities booked within this time range benefit from our best price guarantee. Any changes made by us, which includes rearranging a winter activity into an autumn or spring activity, are subject to an adjustment in price if the new activity is priced lower. If the equivalent autumn or spring activity is priced lower than the originally booked winter activity, you will be entitled to a partial refund. No surcharge applies if the autumn or spring activity is priced higher.
- 10.4 Winter activities booked outside this time range do not benefit from our best price guarantee. Any changes made by us, which includes rearranging a winter activity into an autumn or spring activity, are not subject to an adjustment in price if the new activity is priced lower. If the equivalent autumn or spring activity is priced lower than the originally booked winter activity, you will not be entitled to a partial refund. A surcharge applies if the autumn or spring activity is priced higher.
- 10.5 Autumn or spring activities which are rearranged into winter activities are always subject to a surcharge if the winter activity is priced higher than the autumn or spring activity. If the winter activity is priced lower than the autumn or spring activity, you will not be entitled to a partial refund.
- 11.1 We reserve the right in our sole discretion to terminate the booking arrangements without further notice, should you refuse to comply with the instructions given by the guide or any other staff member of the Northern Lights Village.
- 12.2 Termination equally applies if we believe your behaviour is prone to cause distress, damage or danger to other people or animals. Should a termination take effect, our responsibility for the booking ceases immediately and we shall neither be liable to any refund nor compensation.
Our vehicles are covered by a traffic liability insurance on Finnish public roads. We highly recommend you take out a travel insurance to be protected in case of financial loss in the event of cancellation due to force majeure.
Should any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions be declared null and void unenforceable, the remaining conditions shall be maintained in the agreed terms. We undertake to substitute the provision in question by a provision that most closely complies with the intent initially pursued by the parties.
We reserve the right to unilaterally amend any of the provisions in these Terms and Conditions, in a manner we may deem necessary, without prior notice.
These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Finland. The parties submit all their disputes arising out of or in connection with this Agreement to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Finland.